A Thai Marriage Visa is officially referred to as a Non-Immigrant O Marriage Visa, and it is for any foreign national who is legally married to a Thai foreign national. This visa will allow you to stay in Thailand for a period of one year, and it can be renewed annually from within Thailand, as long as you continue to remain married and meet all the criteria for the visa.

A Non-Immigrant O Visa does not allow you to work in Thailand, but it does allow you to apply for a work permit. It is illegal to start working in Thailand before being granted your work permit and doing so will mean risking fines, possible imprisonment, and the loss of your visa.


In order to apply for a Thai Marriage Visa you must already be married to a Thai national. In order to prove this and meet the requirements of Thai Immigration you will need to provide the following documents:

  • A recognized Marriage Certificate (you may also be required to present an Affirmation of Freedom to Marry from a Thai Embassy or Consulate from your home country.
  • You must give proof that you have at least 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account in your name, and that it has been there for at least 2 months).
  • Or, you must prove that you have a monthly income or pension of at least 40,000 baht per month (this can be done though an affidavit from your foreign embassy or.
  • Or, have a combination of the money cleared in a Thai bank and an annual pension totaling at least 400,000 baht.

In order to prove how much you have in your Thai bank you will need to provide:

  • An updated bank book or passbook.
  • A letter from your bank stating that all money transferred to your bank from overseas was cleared at least two months prior to making your visa application.
  • Other documents which may be requested:
  • A Police Clearance.
  • A Medical Certificate.

How to apply

A Thai Marriage Visa can be applied for at a Thai Royal Consulate or Embassy outside of Thailand, or at an Immigration Office within Thailand.

If you wish to start your application outside of Thailand you will first need to make an application for a Non-Immigrant O Visa of either 90 days or 1 year. Once in Thailand you can report to immigration and activate your Non-Immigrant O Marriage Visa.

You must make sure you have all the requested documents, including copies and all originals. When entering Thailand on a 90 day Non-Immigrant O Visa, you must make the Marriage Visa extension at an immigration office during the last 30 days of your permitted 90-day stay.

The normal process for a marriage visa takes around 4 weeks, but in some cases it can take a week or 2 longer.

Important information

90-day Reporting

Holders of a Non-Immigrant O Marriage Visa must report their current address to a Thai immigration office every 90 days. This can be done three ways:

  • In person at a Thai immigration office.
  • By mail.
  • Through an agent who has the Power of Attorney to report you status.

If you are not in Thailand on the date your 90-day reporting is due, you do not need to report your status, your 90-day reporting will begin again from day 1 on the date you re-enter Thailand.

Re-entry Permit

If you plan on leaving and re-entering Thailand whilst on Non-Immigrant O Marriage Visa, you will first need to get a re-entry permit in order to not lose your visa when you leave.

A re-entry permit can be secured from a Thai Immigration Office or International Airport. The fees are 1,000 Baht for a single re-entry, and 3,800 Baht for a multiple re-entry permit.

When re-entering Thailand, make sure to note the number of your re-entry permit on your immigration arrival form in order for your visa to be re-activated.


If there is a divorce your Non-Immigrant O Marriage Visa will become invalid and you will be required to leave Thailand immediately. In some cases, you may be allowed to remain in the Thailand until the Thai Marriage Visa expires, but you must first check at a Thai Immigration Office.

Immigration Bangkok Tips

A Thai Non-Immigrant O Marriage Visa is very attractive to potential employers as it significantly lessens the process for employment, with the company only needing to apply for your work permit.

When renewing your Thai Non-Immigrant O Marriage Visa you must have the necessary funds cleared in your Thai Bank account at least 3 months prior to your renewal application.

Click here for our Visa Companies section – these companies can help you with any Visa issues you may have.